Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Apr 2019 15:15:28 -0700
From:         Rick Cooper <rickdcooper@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon fuel filter mod for my 84 Westy
Comments: To: Tom Buese <tantonbz@gmail.com>

I've had all sorts of fun with fuel supply, probably because my van was allowed to sit one winter without gas in the tank and here on the Wet Coast that is an invitation to rust. Since then, fuel supply problems have usually been traced to chunks of rust plugging the in-tank screen which then results in the fuel pump being unable to draw sufficient fuel and thus cavitating and whining loudly.

Fuel filters in either location (before or aft of the pump) do not, of course, remedy this problem. The only solution I've found, short of replacing the tank, is to blow air back into the tank. That seems to get me another year of so of free-flowing fuel. But along the way, I have tried fuel filters in both the before and aft postions. The only issue with the before position is the difficulty in priming the pump; once primed the pump seems to have no problem in pulling fuel through it. I used a smaller, generic filter rather than the larger one as shown in the pic.

Cheers, Rick