Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Apr 2019 18:33:48 +0000
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 5 Apr 2019 to 6 Apr 2019 (#2019-77)

I don't think it's quite that straightforward with respect to model years. My '86 Westy (August of '86) which I purchased in '93 as the second owner had the small outlet fuel tank which I'm sure was original. It had both the pre and post filters with the 'adapter' filter Ken describes. After years of ethanol mixed gas putting water into a system not designed for it, the rust issues started. Eventually had to replace the tank about 3 years ago when I did the engine conversion, and now I just have the can filter downstream of the pump.

But as Ken points out, while the upstream filter will keep crud out of the pump, unless you keep the replacement interval suitably short to ensure against cavitation, the 'cure' will be worse than the 'disease'. If you want to keep one upstream, I'd suggest a large clear plastic filter, for flow capacity and ability to visually check filter loading, and put the high pressure filter downstream of the pump in the normal position.

Keith Hughes '86 Westy GenV Turbo (Marvin)

------------------------------ Date:    Sat, 6 Apr 2019 18:16:24 -0400 From:    "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> Subject: Re: Vanagon fuel filter mod for my 84 Westy So VW originally put a plastic cube filter here that also works as an adapter since the early tanks had a 7mm outlet but the pump has a 12mm inlet.  However in 84 some vans had a plastic cube filter before the pump and a metal filter after the pump.  Probably because VW had decided to go to an after pump filter but they still had some 7mm outlet tanks they were using up.  After 85 they went with a 12mm outlet on the tank, no filter before the pump, but a metal filter after the pump.  Here is why I think they did this.  The filter before the pump can clog and restrict the pump. If this happens a perfect good pump could cavitate and be wrecked  which would allow debris to go down stream and into the injectors.  So you have this situation where a bad filter causes the pump and injectors to be destroyed.  Now let's think about what happens if you put the filter after the pump.  If pump goes bad, it dies but doesn't destroy anything else. Since there isn't a filter before the pump, unless the tank is full is rust, the pump shouldn't need a filter.  So you are protecting more things with the filter after the pump.  VW decided that was the smart way to go so I think it was a good move. Ken