Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2019, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Apr 2019 01:01:34 -0400
From:         Gabriel Hourtouat <ghourtouat@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Victoria BC
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Coho Yes, I was referring to the Coho, but the name had slipped my mind. Seems it's had a retrofit and been upgraded to a Diesel-electric propulsion plant.

One time (1992-ish) that I took the Coho, we were travelling in a small car (Suzuki Swift?). When we got to front of the line on the loading ramp, we heard the guy controlling the ramp talk into his walkie-talkie. He looked directly at us and said: "yes, it's a small car". After a brief pause, he waved us through. We were surprised to find that our car only half way fit onto the ferry; and even more surprised when a bunch of crew ran up and physically picked up our car and contents (which included us), and turned the car sideways so that the ramp could be closed and secured.

I never felt claustrophobic or in any way limited or restricted when I lived on the island. My domain seemed endless. Pretty sure I was never once bored.

If you are good, maybe one day I will tell you the story of the Rainbow Gathering at Keeha Beach, near Bamfield.