Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2019, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Apr 2019 19:29:21 -0700
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday: Off Topic on Spam
Comments: To: "Michael A. Radtke" <wa7zpu@5by9.net>

isnt nice when people agree to disagree with such agreeability - Alacrity is so cool like ubiquity - it is everywhere man :)

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 5:36 PM Michael A. Radtke <wa7zpu@5by9.net> wrote:

> Mark, > > Thank you for your comments. > > Your post made me regret my making my post in the first place. I have > a lot of opinions, and sometimes I get so sure of myself that I forget > that others may disagree. > > I want to see all of my email. You don't want to see all of your email. > Let's just agree to disagree. > > Thanks for you opinion, > Mike > > ------------------------ Original Message ------------------------ > Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 16:47:59 -0700 > From: Mark Belanger <mbelanger@gmail.com> > To: "Michael A. Radtke" <wa7zpu@5by9.net> > Cc: Vanagon List <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> > Subject: Re: Friday: Off Topic on Spam > > > I disagree. As a savvy Unix guy, I used to run my own email server, > until I realized that the corpus of SPAM data organizations like Google > and Microsoft can aggregate were orders of magnitude greater than I > could ever hope to achieve for training my local SPAM Assassin > deployment. I switched over to Gmail and have been quite happy ever > since. The service catches about 50-75 SPAM messages per day with 1-2 > false positives and 5-10 false negatives per week. I peruse the SPAM > folder (sorted by subject), once a day. > > I also reject your machinations linking spammers to spam blockers. By > your logic the phone companies are directly connected with robocallers > and mice are behind the mousetrap industry. First, there are numerous > free solutions, including the aforementioned SPAM Assassin, for > combating SPAM. Google is your friend. Second, you need to understand > the origins of email to understand why it is so easy to abuse. Email > protocols were designed by a bunch of academics in the late 60s and > early 70s when the Internet was limited to universities and government. > They were designed for ease of use, not security. The upside is that > billions of people have been able to trivially get email. The downside > is that billions of people, including bad actors, have been able to > trivially get email. > > Of course, you can and will DIY your email, but for the vast majority of > users, it is far easier to go with a commercial solution. Provided you > stay away from lousy services like AOL, Yahoo or Hotmail, it's not that > bad and if it is, it's time to get a new email address. > > > FWIW, > MB > > On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 1:02 PM Michael A. Radtke <wa7zpu@5by9.net> > wrote: > > > Hello, > > > > The spammers are winning and have even created an industry that sell > > products to block or delete spam. In my opinion our focus should have > > been on identifying and stopping the spammers, not blocking their > > messages. No spam filter can ever work. It's like "whack a mole" in > > that what ever we do, some spam gets through. But, the worst side > > effect is that there are plenty of false positives such as vanagon list > > messages ending up in a spam folder, or worse, just deleted. > > > > Over the years, I have had numerous problems with email providers > > "helping me" by keeping spam out of my inbox. From time to time this > > has caused me various levels of inconvenience, and it even cost me > > money on occasion. I don't know how businesses can tolerate spam > > filters and blockers if they do business by email. What if a customer > > places an order by email and the business never sees it? This is not a > > theory. Recently one of Amazon's servers IP was erroneously or > > maliciously added to some blacklists. Any mail from the affected > > server was deleted by the email providers who use those blacklists. > > Almost all email providers use blacklists. > > > > I am perfectly happy to press the delete key. I don't want someone > > deciding what email I can see. I have fought this battle for years and > > just like Hillary, I now run my own email server. I see all of my > > vanagon mail even if gerry gets blacklisted, or one of you in > > frustration, includes a forbidden word in your vanagon list posting. > > > > Thanks for listening, > > Mike > > > > > -- > ________________________________________________________________________ > Mark Belanger - mbelanger@gmail.com >

-- roger whittaker 604.414.6266

---------------------------------------------------------- PR MARINE SURVEYORS & http://www.tvthatworks.com http://www.tvpowellriver.com LinkedIn -

- ca.linkedin.com/pub/roger-whittaker/14/78a/b71/Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://www.youtube.com/user/LastonLastof#g/u http://vimeo.com/42309497

http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/11/29/multimedia/video/doc4c62e5f80d228504902172.txt