Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2019, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:58:12 -0400
From:         Theodore Hoekman <thoekman@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Diesel Advice
Comments: To: Jason <uberhare@GMAIL.COM>

I acquired a 1982 diesel westfalia in 1991 and it was deadly slow even with just a driver on board. On a trip out west from what was then home in Newfoundland, had the injector pump spring a leak. The mechanic who replaced the pump told me about the possibility of swapping a gas engine for the diesel. While at the conference in Colorado where I was headed, researched the swap, and on the way home found a very good low mileage jetta engine at my teenage source for salvage parts in Doon, IA. Loaded on a pallet and brought it back to NL where that winter it was swapped in. Had many years of fun travel with no issues of obstructing traffic. I did change the transmission to a 4 speed with a better final drive ratio, but the jetta engine was quite happy to do 70mph at a little over 3500 rpm. Bequeathed it to my daughter and her then husband (not a VW person) started out for Alberta to look for work. Tried to get to the next service station when the coolant temp went ballistic and seized the engine. Hauled it back to NL where remains. Still trying to figure out an economical way to get it to where I am now in Ontario and try to make it whole again:(

Ted

Theodore Hoekman thoekman@gmail.com 19 York St. Newbury, ON N0L 1Z0 (519)719-0342 Blog:http://Tedspassivesolarhouse.wordpress.com