Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 May 2019 00:26:56 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 88 GL digital clock

One last insight:  I used the word "oxidation", that's probably wrong.  Actually, I think the root cause of the problem (partially blacked out LCD display) might be "plasticizers".  They are what is added to injection molded plastic (like the Dash Cluster and the whole interior of the Vanagon) to give the ABS plastic a little flex.  It's what is commonly referred to as that "new car smell".  With time and heat, these plasticizers vent off out of the plastic, resulting in brittle plastic after 30 years in the sun.  Meanwhile, the silicone rubber Zebra Strip on the LCD clock loves to absorb these oily molecules.  Resulting in hit-or-miss connectivity between the LCD glass surface and the Zebra Strip and the PCB gold contacts. I think I'm sorta right...I used to design these kinds of things....but that's been quite a while now.  Anyway, the Q-tip and rubbing alcohol sure does the trick.  I was sorta amused that GoWesty (of all people) offer a little stick-on LCD clock to fix the situation....when getting to the root cause is a much better solution.

Rich San Diego

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 4:50:20 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote: I will add another tip:  once I had the problem of Digital Clock partially blacked out.  Funky.  Solution was to do a gentle cleansing of Zebra Strip (the black and white rubber piece that connects glass LCD to circuit board) and also the PCB itself...the gold contact mating surfaces.  Use a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol.  Be gentle....just need to remove a little oxidation.  Immediate success, and has been the same now for 15 years. Rich San Diego

    On Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 4:19:07 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote:    Dave,

Worst case is that you will need to remove the instrument cluster, and then remove the screws holding the digital clock.  This allows the button to pop up again.  Then, carefully re-assemble. I'm forgetting all the details....but I had the same issue on my 85 on a cross-country trip where I reset clock when passing through time zones.  I did it in a parking lot or campsite...can't remember.  It's very very easy.  Or, like Pascal said, keep fiddling with it, maybe with some eye magnification, and maybe you will get lucky.

Your clock is good.  I will add...the lesson I learned is not to try to reset clock with a toothpick at 65 MPH!  One bump and you kinda overdo the button press and it gets lodged behind bezel. Rich San Diego

    On Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 3:57:49 PM PDT, pascal cousineau <pascal4cousineau@GMAIL.COM> wrote:  Dave, i have an 87 that had the same problem, take a safety pin and keep fiddling with it, You’ll get it eventually. -Pascal

Sent from my iPhone