Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 May 2019 21:54:57 -0400
From:         Vincent Dow <ianvincentdow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Popes out of 4th gear
Comments: To: Jack R <jack007@comcast.net>

Hi, This is how the DK tranny on my 1982 (air-cooled) to Subaru upgrade went. One day on an elevated highway in Montreal,. suddenly VAROOOOOOM into neutral...

The worst thing is, I kept driving it for FIVE YEARS after that. I learned how to keep it in 4th... The key is never to take your foot off the gas in 4th gear... the damaged 3/4 slider hub doesn't like engine-braking.

I did a lot of long-distance drives this way, bungie cords attached to passenger -side seatbelt receiver. I'd wind it real high before shifting to 4th, and then keep there revs very steady... it almost never popped under those circumstances. But when you take your foot even lightly off the gas - pop goer the weasel. And that's very jarring g and GRIMACING kind of vibe.

When I finally got that tranny rebuilt I put in a Weddle 4th gear (.77)m and I absolutely love it. My tires are 195 R 14s which gives me a cruising speed of 70 mph at 3400 rpm. The Subaru EJ 22 loves that set up.

Good luck!