Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2019, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 May 2019 09:28:38 -0400
From:         "John H. Lauterbach" <john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto Transmission service advice
Comments: To: "C. Abney" <tsudonimh@GMAIL.COM>

I am going from memory here, but I had a problem automatic transmission leaks at one time when I had my '84 Vanagon. I remember something about a seal behind the governor plate and possibly one other place other than the transmission pan. I took it to an automatic transmission shop and got the seals replaced, etc., for less than $200. It never leaked again. John

On Tue, 2019-05-07 at 15:09 -0700, C. Abney wrote: > If it is just a leaky pan that pan is very picky about how it is > sealed and requires very little torque on the screws as they are > tightened. The seal is still available to buy but the fit is awkward > and needs "prewetting" with ATF. > > There may be some cruft or goo or crap on either surface from the last > guy who serviced it. both surfaces should be very clean. Don't > scratch them trying to remove whatever. > > Some people put some sealer goop on to reseal it. I don't recommend > this, be only very finicky about cleaning and following the torque > recommendation in the Bentley manual. Don't tighten one screw before > the others, get them all finger tight and approach the torque > together. Mind that the rubber seal is positioned properly, as well. > NO LEAKS. > > > C > -- > If you're in my band you can't have too much of a sense of dignity. -- > "Weird Al" Yankovic