Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2019, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 May 2019 10:29:18 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_So_what=E2=80=99s_the_most_efficient_speed_to_cruise_a?=
              =?UTF-8?Q?t=3F?=
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <w.jeff.palmer@icloud.com>

Hmmm.... . Of course, there are many variables involved. I'm sure that Dennis's analysis (but he can speak to that better than I can) makes certain assumptions, including that the only variable not held constant is velocity. One that would be held constant I imagine would be that the travel surface is perfectly horizontal. Any grade would alter the result. The automatic transmission will downshift if need be as the grade increases. With a standard transmission, on a steep climb one has to downshift. With either, then not only does fuel use increase simply because of the climb, but because of the gear ratio and increased rpms. But without the downshift, the vehicle will eventually stall on the climb.

So, the question becomes not only at what speed is the vehicle most efficient, which is answered experimentally (or theoretically either) by holding all variables constant except speed, but under real driving conditions, at what speed does the vehicle perform best in terms of fuel use? I have satisfied myself that for me, with my 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile with original 2.1-l engine, with 185K miles, that speed, on the highway, is between 55-60 mph. At that speed, I am comfortable driving the van and typically get between 20-24 mpg. At higher speeds, it is unpleasantly noisy, and I really don't feel comfortable with the vehicle's tolerance of the demands I am putting on it. In very hilly terrain I may even drop to 50 mph, downshifting as needed. I try to keep rpms around 3K except when downshifted, then not over 4K. Oh, my tires are slightly oversized (195R14) all weather (DOT mountain snowflake symbol) Vredestein tires, and inflated at 42 psi front, 52 psi rear as recommended by the manufacturer, though not adjusted for vehicle weight load. When I drive it, I usually have water, camping gear, myself and my wife (both small persons) loaded.

mcneely