Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jul 2019 08:59:22 -0700
From:         Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Reliability & Philosophy
Comments: To: Jack Elliott <pdaxe2gto@gmail.com>

I wonder if Robert Pirsig ever drove or owned a Vanagon? Some of Alex's comments made me think of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and that the vehicle itself is really just a lump on steel until it is operated by a human, gathers motion and then becomes a van. Pirsig broke down his explanation of classic and romantic understanding using a train and motorcycle as the example - the vanagon works perfectly as well for those with an engineering mind vs the arts mind..

As for me - we are on the eve of a trip to Hornby Island and in the process of packing the van and thinking of all the little things that should be included in case any mechanical and electrical gremlins wake up during the drive. I always get uneasy when "Whitesail" seems to be running so well as if it could travel 100,000 kms without issue.

These truly are adventure wagons for so many reasons.

Bruce

86 Syncro Westy Whitesail