Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jul 2019 23:01:05 +0000
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Reliability & Philosophy

Yes indeed. As I get older and less able to lay in the dirt on the side of the road wrenching, reliability has become much more important to me. About 4 years ago I pulled the dash, went through the wiring, wheel bearings/seals front and back, all new A/C hoses, compressor, condenser, drier and upgraded to the newer '87 and later style evap, new big brakes on front all new on the back drums. All new fuel lines, brake and clutch lines, brake and clutch masters, etc. Took a wonderful trouble free trip up the West coast afterwards. Kind of got a crush on that not-breaking-down thing from that trip. Not long after I dumped the Tiico and went with the FAS GenV because I wanted the performance increase, but more for the reliability. Nothing not new, nothing rebuilt, and everything of a much newer vintage when time comes for a rebuilt alternator for e.g. I also went with the GoWesty gear reduction starter as I was fed up with going through rebuilds.

Lot of money, lot of time, but I don't hesitate to head out anywhere, anytime and do so without wondering how far I'll get before something craps out. For me, the Vanagon platform can't be beat, and it's just the vehicle that I *want* to drive. I could've bought a new car with the money I've put into my Westy in the last few years, but I don't *want* a new car (except for the wife of course), just a reliable Westy. I've been driving my current van for over 26 years, and 250K miles, and it's not unreasonable, to me, to expect to "buy a new Westy" once every 25 years. I smile every time I hop in it, and that's what it's all about, loving to drive it. Now I'm doing my wrenching making upgrades 'n such and just everyday normal PM.

Not everyone has the big chunk of change to dump into a van, and not everyone wants to for sure. But it's a lot less than a GoWesty Resto - back when they still did them. And when I retire at year end, I plan on getting my money's worth!

Keith Hughes '86 Westy GenV Turbo (Marvin)

(Yeah, well the turbo was just for grins, not reliability, but hey no need to grow up just because I'm old)

Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 14:41:50 -0500 From: "Jim. Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: Vanagon Reliability & Philosophy

One thing Pirsig never factored in was the spiraling disaster that is re= built assemblies. Tomorrow I will pay =24140 for a rebuilt alternator for= my diesel Vanagon. The problem is that I paid one of the list vendors th= at much for the item originally=E2=80=94exactly 11,678 miles ago, a Bosch= Premium Rebuild. When you are on the wrong end of the life cycle curv= e on starters and alternators, preventive maintenance becomes catch-and-r= elease. As soon as you install the thing, start looking for the next one.=