Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jul 2019 19:45:17 -0700
From:         Jeremy Stovin <jjstov@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      More electrical problems

Hi. Me again. ‘87 Westy. Getting tired of these problems. Almost to the point of getting rid of her. Just when I think it is all resolved, more problems arise.

Is anyone out there patient enough to help me try to figure out, once and for all, what the heck is going on.

I’m only going to go into the issues and background briefly. If someone can help, I can dig into more details. Just don’t need the emails telling me I am stupid. If I was an expert, I would need this group.

Set up:

Aux battery is 3 -22ah batteries in series. (Getting 66ah). It’s connected to the main battery with a Yandina 100 combiner. I have a PowerMax PM3-35 converter in the cabinet to charge the battery when the van is plugged into shore power

I have a Victron Energy meter connected to the aux to show it’s Voltage.

I have a Truckfridge. Also various other accessories, including a solar set up.

The stereo, dash outlet and dome light is wired to the aux by PO.

Background: Kept killing the battery because there was a draw. As everyone knows it was from the stereo. So bought new batteries and made a switch like GoWesty sells. That seems to have done the trick.

Because of paranoia of my battery wearing down, I used to keep my van plugged into shore power when not in use, which is a lot of time. When plugged in, the meter will show 14.xx (xx= something, varies) maybe 13.5+.

My condo board made me unplug it a month ago. I was happy to notice that there was no more draw and the battery level was steady when not in use.

A few weeks later, in prep for a big road trip, I took her into a Westy pro shop to get some things checked out, including basic electrical and make sure the solar was set up and wired correctly (they said it did) However, they said all my batt connections were loose and tightened them.

Fast forward a week after getting her back, where she was not being used. I went back and found the battery level had dropped significantly. Possibly dead, but hopeful it can take a charge again. At least things will work when plugged into shore power or driving.

Here are the latest problems.

1. When driving the meter is usually 13.4V. Because it’s running off the alternator. I’ve noticed that isn’t always happening. I finally find that the combiner is not always combining. Well the green light that comes on when combined is not always on. Then it may come on and then the Volts jump up.

2. I’ve noticed something similar when plugged to shore power. The meter reading does not indicate power is getting to the battery. Sometimes it does.

3. With the combiner, I’ve noticed that with charging with shore power, it will, after time, combine, I expect sending power the other direction. It’s not really doing this either.

4. Side note: recently, we’ve noticed our remote controlled LED light strip (connected to the aux) will mysteriously turn itself on. Today we noticed that, while driving, we noted the combiner light was not on (not combining), then a little later, the light strip turned itself on. We noted the combiner light was now on. We turned off the light, and it stopped combining. The led strip used very low amps. Not sure what is affecting what.

So, I’m not sure if my combiner is bad and causing problems, my converter is bad and causing problems, or something else is going on. This is after I completely reorganized the wiring to try to prevent all this.

I am sorry for the extremely long email. Hop someone is kind enough to help explain what is wrong, aside from my life choices, and product choices.

Sincerely,

Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone