Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2019, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Jul 2019 14:12:41 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Finding a short
Comments: To: David Boan <dboan@outlook.com>
Comments: cc: "alex@mevay.org" <alex@mevay.org>

Electrical stuff works like hydraulics, but with electrons instead of hydraulic oil. It only works when there's a complete circuit, so that the electrons can get back to the battery.

The specific laws are from Georg Simon Ohm: Volts = amps x ohms, and watts = volts x amps. These can be rearranged/decomposed to amps = volts/ohms, ohms = volts/amps, volts = watts/amps, amps = watts/volts, watts = amps^2 x ohms, and watts = volts^2 / ohms.

Volts is pressure, measured between two points in a circuit. Hydraulic analalogy would be psi.

Amp[ere]s is current flow through a circuit. One amp is a ridiculous number of electrons per second. Hydraulic analogy gallons per minute.

Ohms is resistance to flow, causing a pressure drop.

One volt will cause a current of one ampere to flow through a resistance of one ohm.

These laws apply when conditions are steady, which in DC circuits they mostly are. It gets more complicated with AC circuits, or under transient conditions; but you mostly don't need to be concerned with that in the van. It also gets more complicated when chemistry is involved, like inside a battery. I won't get into that now.

An open circuit (like opening a switch) makes everything stop. With no flow, no work can be done.

A short circuit is a sneaky way for current to get back to the battery without going through the load. Short circuits blow fuses and/or let the magic smoke out of the wires.

A poor connection increases total resistance in the circuit and thus reduces the overall power -- but some of that reduced power generates local heating at the point of the problem, which can melt wire insulation, melt sockets, cause false blowing of fuses, and such.

Yrs, d