Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2019, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jul 2019 19:50:07 -0700
From:         Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why the preponderance of air-cooled on Marketplace?
Comments: To: Stacy Schneider <vwcrewman@gmail.com>

Although I have had both air and water - I can't say either type has been overly reliable - enjoyable however that is for sure. I have been stranded on roads, driveways and highways with all sorts of ailments...some fixable and some not so much. Those experiences certainly made me a wiser motorist and a more resilient traveler. I also have to say that the water boxer coolant system with its 1400 hoses - (or so it seems) and brittle aged plastic junctions and parts - has definitely scared the $%## out of me on the eve of many a trip. Of course I have done much to replace much of that with new hoses, stainless pipes and aluminum parts where available and keep an eye and ear on things as much as possible.

A slight power increase is likely part of it - I also think the newer Vanagons are more comfortable with their seats - a little more modern and roomier - and slightly newer - if that means anything for a 30 plus year old vehicle.

BT