Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2019, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jul 2019 09:52:44 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: JP Group Power Steering U Joint Fitment Issues?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

> Part of the goal is to make towing difficult with the wheel locked.

Good point!

I spent a LOT of time adjusting, fiddling making sure the parts were aligned. On this particular part, it appears that the u joint bolt holes, thus bolt, were too close to the milled slot on steering shaft and continuous groove at rack shaft.

direct links to images showing issue:

new u joint, bolt in

https://tinyurl.com/y2hqezwc

old u joint, bolt in

https://tinyurl.com/y6jxvcvm

amount of material removed by manufacturer at bolt hole new u joint

https://tinyurl.com/y5bw3xqc

same for old u joint

https://tinyurl.com/y499bnyx

To allow each bolt to fit as "tight" as possible to rack and steering shafts, at u joint end that fits to rack, I filed the bolt holes to allow the bolt to sit further away from (fit to) the continuous groove on the shaft. At splined end of steering shaft, I filed off a tiny bit of metal at the milled slot on shaft to allow room for the bolt.

This was not an ideal solution and I'm seriously considering sourcing a good used steering shaft and new U joint though I'm quite sure the parts would hold as-is. But.... they have to be absolutely correct!

Neil.

On 7/21/19, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So far that is one part that has been very consistent. Check that the > coupling is actually in the correct location. Tap it around to make sure it > is where it belongs and the bolt will slide in easily. This is also a good > time to make sure the steering wheel position is correct is correct. Count > turns and measure the rack to get the wheel centered. When locked by the > ignition lock the wheel spokes should be near 10-2 o'clock, not straight > ahead. Part of the goal is to make towing difficult with the wheel locked. > > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Neil N > Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:04 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: JP Group Power Steering U Joint Fitment Issues?

> Looking on the internet, it seems that various vendors all sell the JP Group > universal joint. > > While installing this part, has anyone run into fit issue where the cross > bolt will not fit or is a very tight fit? i.e. bolt threads get damaged > while pushing the bolt through?

-- Neil n

VE7TBN

1988 Westy 50º ABA swap: https://tinyurl.com/yap5hpwt

1981 Westy 15º ABA swap: https://tinyurl.com/y9n4xob8