Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2019, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jul 2019 12:33:51 -0700
From:         vw_van_fan_Mark <madvws@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: radiator fan and A/C
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@GMAIL.COM>

Dan, if you get 2 speeds when you jump the wires at the rad temp switch then the high speed relay is working.

If so, I would replace the rad temp switch. Part number 251959481K 85/93 degree is the one.

If high speed doesn't work when you jumper the switch connector wires then the relay may be at fault. It is a 60 amp or 70 amp relay. The latest version is VW part# 7M0 531 253A This version should have the number 100 stamped on the end. This relay is used in newer VWs for various things. There is also a 50 amp metal strip type fuse attached to the relay socket and this may be blown so look at that before changing relay. The relay and attached fuse are hard to get to.

Mark

Dan N wrote: > hi all, > > I have here a 1988 2WD tintop with A/C, the previous owner remove the A/C > belt and also cut the wires to the compressor in the engine bay. > I never hear the rad. fan going on even the temp needle went pass the red > LED on the gauge. The fan works when I jump the connector at the radiator. > so the question: Are the wires leading to the compressor and the rad. fan > related? (without the A/C belt). I ask before investigating further to see > the rad. fan is functioning properly or not. > > if you could, please help... thanks > > dan >