Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2019, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jul 2019 16:58:07 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: First ride of shame, fuel issue
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Significant update and van still not drivable.

Today, with the kind help of a fellow list member, my fuel pump was replaced and now the van starts.

Problem is now it is running very very rough and stalls unless foot is held to give gas.

It doesn’t start unless I pump the gas peddle. Not what I expect from this van as it starts usually with foot off the gas.

Engine sounds very rough though it sounded good earlier this week.

Today we could hear that in fact the old fuel pump was turning on but it didn’t sound like it used to for the past 7 years. It turned on and vibrated but the sound was wrong. We took off the fuel line in the engine compartment and cycled the fuel pump a few times. No fuel.

Now we have fuel but the engine sounds terrible. Starts hard with lots of gas and runs rough. I notice also more vibration than usual.

Only thing I can do is to change the filters to see if they are restricting flow.

Other ideas about what is going on are appreciated.

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto

> [...]

>>> activated and the fuel pump won't come on. I have seen several folks >>> do a rig up that powers the fuel pump relay some other way (like >>> using the power to the coil from the ignition key) and this activates >>> the fuel pump as soon as you turn on the key and allows the van to

>>> start. However I would not continue to use the van in this condition but get a rebuilt ECU instead. >>> If you have another Vanagon owner that is local with an 83-85 1.9l

>>> problem. Save you a lot of troubleshooting. >>> >>> Ken >>> >>> On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 4:13 PM OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net> wrote: >>> >>>> On 27 Jul , 2019, at 12:14 PM, Eric Caron wrote: >>>> >>>>> I’m not ruling out a bad start battery either but it does seem to >>>>> be >>>> operating the starter. It did so strongly on the side of the road