Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Aug 2019 15:20:30 -0400
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Moving our aging bodies on from Vanagon (sniff!)
Comments: To: fonman4277 <fonman4277@comcast.net>

We used to sell these a while back for another company. I had several her over the years. The nice part about them is that they drive like a much smaller vehicle and even with the 5-cylinder version, it didn't feel like you were driving a large vehicle. I am thinking that if you could find the 5-cylinder Eurovan version (93) that might be the least trouble prone. They sold quite a few 95s which are also 5-cylinders but the engine was changed and it is hard to get parts for that year because they barely sold any in 95 besides Rialtas, apparently.

After 97 they went to the VR6 is when you run into the issues with the engine (timing chain, defective timing chain gears (97)) and automatic transmissions that randomly blow under 100k miles. Ironically, if they last over 100k miles they usually last another 100k miles. That is the legend. Maybe it is just the way the person drives.

So if you really need one I would look for a 93. Or just not care about how much it costs to fix it. The transmission and timing chain job on the later models can be around $10k. So maybe factor that into the final price of the vehicle. Class C motorhomes are super expensive right now. Can you easily spend $125k on a new one. Maybe a Rialta isn't such a bad deal once you compare it to what these things cost new.

Ken

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com