Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2019, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Aug 2019 02:52:01 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fixing Vanagon Air Conditioning....trying at least
Comments: To: David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>

Good one Dave, about the size of R-12 molecules versus that of R-134A molecules.  Hmmmm...  I have considered this, even to the extent of considering stainless steel "bellows tubes" as a replacement for the standard rubber hoses.  Good idea.  To solve this problem once and for all.  But...with a potential leak in evaporator (as already determined by sniffing by my  A/C shop) I don't think that's a good option.  Hoses leak...but so do components like evaporators, and I think they leak far faster than hoses.  O-rings are pretty easy.  But, attacking an evaporator leak, not to mention likely damage to to all the brittle plastic housing (that's why my A/C expert did NOT want to go there).  Plus, super duper expensive to replace an evaporator with no longer available parts.  We are talking mucho bucks, even if lucky enough to find one (evaporator in pristine condition).  Nope.  Empty beverage can to hold open front wind windows (as seen on Facebook Vanagon Owners Group) seems like a pretty good option.  Dang...when I was young, I traveled 15,000 miles in summer of 1974 all across the USA in my aircooled '70 bus....no A/C...no nothing.  My luxury item was an old Coleman stove that I bought for $3 at a swapmeet.  But yeah...I was 20 years old back then. Rich San Diego

On Thursday, August 8, 2019, 7:01:49 PM PDT, David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM> wrote: My 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile with 2.1l original waterboxer at 185k miles has factory air converted to R-134a in 2010 that currently does not work.  Every year since 2010 I have had competent VW AC mechanics ferret out problems (leaky valves, bad o-rings, and so on, unending).  When it works, it cools magnificently, but I have decided that pumping more R-134a into the atmosphere is NOT being a good citizen.  Most recently, I have been told by several including some on this list that the R-134a molecule is smaller than the R-12 molecule, and that the factory hoses actually seep R134a through their walls.  How true that is, I have no idea.  I have not replaced the hoses, nor have I even priced R&R for the hoses.  At my advanced age, and being fairly heat tolerant anyway, I am not sure additional money on this problem is justified.  But a buyer would probably want working AC, and I am not one to get it "serviced" in order to sell it when that time comes.