Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2019, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Aug 2019 01:52:44 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gasoline aroma

On second thought...Hold off on trying to add any sealant to the Fuel Sender and Fuel Tank connection.  The plastic of the Fuel Sender is (best as I can ascertain) Nylon...and that is pretty hard to get any kind of reliable adhesion over the long haul.  Would be a waste of effort.  Lots of heat and vibration down there anyway.  Nope.

But bending tabs down, and then bending leading edges up so that rubber parts mate and seal as I've described below...yes, I think that makes sense.  To me at least.  Looking forward to other thoughts and opinions and experiences. Rich San Diego

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 5:18:33 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote: When I had my gas tank replaced, getting the fuel sender to seal properly was a BIG issue.  The shop (very experienced) had difficulty the first time and I had overflow leaks when filling up tank.  On the second try, they did a little better; still not perfect.  I've read that the fix for this is to bend down a little the 6 flanges in the sheet metal around the fuel sender to get a tight fit but also use pliers on the leading edge of the 6 flanges you just bent down....and now put a slight bend upward on the front lip.  To allow easy engagement initially, and not damage plastic on the fuel sender.  Maybe even apply a film of grease on the underside of those 6 leading edges.  Now, as the fuel sender gets rotated into position, the tabs on the tank don't cut into the plastic on the fuel sender.  The bent up leading edge allows reasonably easy rotation, and then after the corresponding tabs pass the leading edge indent on the 6 flanges, the sender kinda pops up into the proper sealing position. Never done it myself....I hadn't done the research until after the fact...and I don't like to hover too much over my mechanics while they are working and tell them how to do their job.  You know what I mean.

But this method of getting excellent sealing without messing up things makes sense to me. Also, I would not be opposed to adding some gas resistant sealant under and over this area; the theory being....if in another 30 years I need again to replace my gas tank, then I will also be replacing the fuel level sender as well.  Doesn't matter if they are "glued" together.  But, neither of these parts will be available in 30 years so the issue is moot.  And I'll be 95...Ha-ha!!  Seriously.

Rich San Diego

    On Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 3:21:33 PM PDT, Dan N <dn92610@GMAIL.COM> wrote:  Could it be the seal of the fuel sender on top of the fuel tank went bad? That area has very little air going thru and the chance of smelling fuel is very likely because the vapor has nowhere to go except up.