Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2019, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Aug 2019 00:43:52 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@NBNET.NB.CA>
Subject:      Re: Van Cafe/ RMW solves another problem--permanently
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

Alistair:

It’s neither mean or harsh - my musings were not meant as a detraction from RMW has done … all business owners, myself included, are in business to make money. I also think the price is fitting for and aluminium product, but I see it as more of an upgrade than a replacement. RMW have been in this business a long time and have undoubtedly know far better than me the market size and what their clientele will support. At the moment they appear to be the only alternative, so pricing strength is on their side.

My exposure to low-volume injection moulding (in very small, though high margin, market of prosthetics) is limited and tangental. Even there, single cavity moulds for more complicated shapes were around $2-3K. Here you would need two moulds (left & right) … so say $6K. Your initial break-even may be higher than manual FAB of aluminium tanks, but it would not need to make a very large run before your production costs would be less. The product would be inferior the RMWs, but would be in-line with the original.

However, T3 owners may be closer to your Tacaoma demographic than I realise and selling an aluminium tank at $200 may be a better proposition than asking $80 - $100 for a plastic one.

Roy