Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2019, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Aug 2019 14:55:54 -0700
From:         Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Evaporative Canister (Re: Fuel Expansion Tank)

Thanks for your note on the evaporative canister.

On 8/25/2019 12:54 PM, WILLIAM WITZ wrote: > I used to work in Public Transit and we would inspect all of our Buses once a week. I inspect our 84 every couple of weeks. ... if you drive a 35 year old vehicle uncertainty has to part of the expectation.

I don't expect certainty. I just want to be as confident as the owner of a new Westy in 1984 would be. To do that, I replace all of the parts that wear out. That's why it was so upsetting to learn there are critical plastic fuel expansion tanks nobody every mentioned!

There remain a few parts that simply can't be replaced. The ECU. The air flow meter. Those wear out. So far, nobody has a modern ECU and MAF with a drop-in kit for the '84. (GoWesty's $3,000 kit is only for 1986 and newer.)

Other than that, I can pretty much renew everything and drive with confidence. But not if I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE PART!

I've had my Westy for ten years and asked many shops to tell me how to make it more reliable. I was told to replace the fuel lines long ago, and I've done that twice now. Nobody mentioned the coolant expansion tank until a few years ago, and I upgraded that right away. But now I hear about fuel expansion tanks that are critical to reliability? I'm ticked that nobody told me about them before.

Yes, I know, go Subaru, right? I can't afford it. Indeed, I'd go the other way. I love my Vanagon, but I sorta wish I had gotten a 1970s Bus instead. As a teenager, I drove my 1967 Beetle all over the country alone, and I never had a mechanical problem I couldn't fix myself. The Vanagon, not so much.

But I'll hang in there with the Vanagon and just keep trying to make it more reliable.