Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Sep 2019 22:09:02 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Pressure bleeding brakes questions

I went camping last night in local mountains (6,000 feet high just an hour away from 0 elevation where I live here in San Diego).  I have been pretty diligent over the last 30 years about having brake fluid flushed and replaced every 3 years or so (because of the way brake fluid loves to suck in moisture through hoses and cause all kinds of issues at a later date).  On the way back from the mountains, my local mechanic was able to get me in (he's a small time operation...BRU Automotive for those local people interested).  Cost me $85.  I considered all the work:  writing up the job, moving the van into garage, up on lift, bleeding old stuff out, adding new stuff (removal of Instrument Cluster housing, plus the added cost of the new brake fluid itself); tidying everything up, down off lift, quick road test, back to parking lot, doing final paperwork.  Calling me to let me know job was done.  My major effort in all of this was trying to kill an hour or so walking around....and of course the $85.  Oh....BTW....they did an overall lookover while underneath vehicle, no issues to report; also, they said that the old brake fluid was basically pretty clean, not milky or dirty, good news for me...I think my hoses and lines and brake cylinders and stuff are in pretty good shape based on this.  Preventative maintenance!....I like it.

Killer deal in my opinion, and I'm good for another 3 years. Rich San Diego

On Monday, September 2, 2019, 10:25:26 AM PDT, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: Brake hoses tend to fail from the inside out. When they swell internally they can restrict fluid flow. Sometimes they even prevent the calipers/cylinders from releasing. If you don’t remember when they were change last it may be time to change them again. For me rear brake service always includes cylinders and the hoses unless Teflon or something special. Front always hoses with calipers at least getting inspected carefully and attention paid to free movement while pushing the pistons back in.

Dennis