Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Sep 2019 17:26:54 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Magnets to capture rust particles in Fuel Tank
Comments: To: Paul Freese <freese.paul@yahoo.com>

That's encouraging insight, Paul; the fact that there is rust "dust" and rust "chunks".  The rust "dust" along with regular dirt is probably fine enough to pass through the mesh at the outlet and get picked up by the fuel filter.  It's the "chunks" that cause the problem of clogging....and perhaps they indeed have enough original base metal that they would get grabbed and held by the exterior magnets. Well....I just happen to have a stack of magnets laying around....so I will attach them, and then wait 30 years to see the results!!  And yes, I always try to keep my gas tank full to minimize air/water vapor.  Also, when I replaced my fuel tank I made sure I got one with a 12 mm outlet as opposed to the original 7 mm outlet (almost triple the cross-sectional area).  So kind of a multi-pronged approach at solving this problem.

Rich

On Saturday, September 7, 2019, 8:37:23 AM PDT, Paul Freese <freese.paul@yahoo.com> wrote: I think ethenol needs to be added to the rust adding conservation.  Alcohol absorbs water.  This is likely only a problem if you are not burning fuel quickly enough (storage).  Here in northern MN it is difficult to source any gasoline that does not contain some ethenol. Making sure your tank is full can reduce chances of condensation in the tank during storage.  Moist air will condensate on the coldest surface, let's hope that is not the inside of our cold metal gas tanks. And yes, most rust of any color has enough "original" material that a strong magnet will attract it quite readily.  I have enough rust around the drive way (again, northern MN) that I tried with computer magnet... Paul

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 9:00 AM, Richard Koerner<rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote: Did a little online research....Red Rust is only very weakly magnetic as opposed to its cousin Black Rust which is strongly magnetic.  So David is basically right.  Not sure which rust forms in our fuel tanks; pictures I've seen of clogged fuel filters and cut open fuel tanks show mostly red rust. So the magnet idea might not work.  Oh well.

    On Friday, September 6, 2019, 5:37:51 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote:    Yep, it sure is; that red rust and all; it's Iron, just like those magnificent hills in the Southwest USA.

OK...need somebody to go out to get some red dirt....with a magnet....and see if anything collects.  I'm sure it will happen.

    On Friday, September 6, 2019, 5:22:03 PM PDT, David Beierl <dbeierl@GMAIL.COM> wrote:  > > So, instead of all these rust particles naturally flowing to the outlet, > they are stuck at the 12 points.  Could buy a lot of time, decades even.

I don't believe ordinary red rust is magnetic...

Yrs, d