Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2019, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Sep 2019 10:25:15 -0400
From:         "John H. Lauterbach" <john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1991 Subie Vanagon
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Thank you very much, Dennis especially for the info on possible backfire causes. I am going to get professional help with the engine ASAP. Also, I have some practical needs for the van as soon as it is roadworthy that I cannot do with car. John On Sat, 2019-09-14 at 00:15 +0000, Dennis Haynes wrote: > Since you have a Subie maybe you missed an opportunity to upgrade the > wheels/tires which would allow the installation of one of the front big brake > kits. A feature that some don't realize with most of these options is the > change to front wheel studs and the service ease of slip off rotors. For the > rear GoWesty often has in stock the OEM backing plates, (the aftermarket ones > are junk) and their heavy duty rear drums are nice. Currently I'm stocking > some 17" wheels and tires and the GW brake kits. > For the back fire begin by looking for an exhaust leak. After that lean > cylinder miss fire, vacuum leak, or a bad valve. > One of my hitches replace the bumper mounts. > Dennis > -----Original Message-----From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto: > vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of John H. LauterbachSent: Friday, > September 13, 2019 3:13 PMTo: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: 1991 Subie Vanagon > After spending the better part of the past few months at European Auto Clinic > here in Macon, I have my 1991 Subie Vanagon back with working service and hand > brake systems. Most of braking systems were rusted beyond repair and most of > the parts have been replaced. Apparently there are problems getting calipers > and some of the other parts to complete the work. > Engine seems to run fine although I still need to get it checked out. There > is a slight backfire when I let up on the gas to shift from first to > second. Any ideas? > I am also in need of a rear bumper and mounts. Believe I have a GL series > with all the fancy trim. After getting engine checked it will need exterior > restoration and repainting. > John