Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2019, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Oct 2019 01:34:16 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bosch Group 41 Battery under $100

Crazy good news!  I called, and got my order all in place with Pep Boys for the Bosch group 41 battery.  I will pick up tomorrow afternoon.  The Crazy good news?  I get $18 back for my old battery (I was not expecting that)...saves me hassle for disposal.  Put's all of this under $100 for a solid battery, just as Jack proposed.   With minimal hassle!  Thank you Pep Boys and Bosch, and Jack!  Batteries are not cheap these days, that's for sure.

RichSan Diego

On Monday, September 30, 2019, 4:56:57 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote: Now that I think of it...per great suggestion from Mark Drillock...I will get this new battery, as my starter battery.  I will transfer the 4 year old battery into House Battery position for my luxuries.  And the 12 year old house battery?...I will say thank you and goodbye. (Nope, it's not dead...but, I travel great distances in my Vanagon to far away spots, and a uncooperative battery is not something I want to deal with.  Reliability...that's my mantra.)

Rich San Diego

    On Monday, September 30, 2019, 4:44:08 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote:    Excellent post, Jack.  My house battery and my starter battery are both good old Group 41.  Starter battery was replaced about 4 years ago with a WalMart one.  But house battery is probably 12 years old or so by now.  Righto, change out now when easy....not when on the road.  Still might have energy in it, but why milk it for risk of failure and a few bucks?  Not worth the aggravation.  Chemistry can only go so long.  Thanks. Rich San Diego

    On Monday, September 30, 2019, 4:28:36 PM PDT, Jack R <jack007@COMCAST.NET> wrote:  I just purchased two of these, they are not vented however.  Probably OK since sealed.

Fit was perfect, great warranty, and now my main and Aux battery are the same make, model year.  I have a dual battery shore power charger which has kept my prior batteries alive for over 10 years.  Felt it was time to change out, as preventative.  When batteries start to die, it is hard on the alternator.  And with a dual system, probably a good idea for less than $200.

https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-premium-performance-battery-group-size-41/product/9073724/1984/VOLKSWAGEN/TYPE%20II%7EVANAGON/4-1900%20water%20cooled

Note: these batteries do not have a handle, so you will need a battery strap that fits over the terminals to drop them into place.  Also, there isn't a cover over the positive terminal, so took the one off the old battery.  (lined up good enough).

Jack R. 84 Westy.