Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Oct 2019 00:19:29 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Checklist for beginning Medium Vanagon Roadtrip

Hello.  I'm getting ready to do a Vanagon roadtrip from San Diego to Portland, OR.  About 1,000 miles one way; about 3,000 miles roundtrip...given little extra excursions.  I've been doing this since 1974 with my Baywindow, and since 1987 with my 85 Tintop.  Trip will be about 2-3 weeks.   Mid-October.   Here is how I prep for it.

I start at the ground.  Tires, all 5, in good shape; inflated to proper pressure.  Motor:  fresh oil and filter change, coolant fluid clean and full. Of course, no motor problems with Subie 2.2 with 60k miles.  Starter and House batteries all check out just fine, less than 4 years.  Wheel bearings and CV Joints were both attended to, and also my 3 year annual brake fluid flushing.  No leaks or drips anywhere.  Brakes (standard disc on front and drum on rear) working fine....no funny stuff.  Clutch is good, replaced with Subie conversion.

I move up to the next level:  interior.  Sleeping bags clean, Mr Buddy Heater ready to go with extra propane cylinders, and also an extra sleeping bag and an extra comforter to toss on top.  Luci Light (solar) ready.  Dishes and pans and cutlery sorta clean!  Plastic ice chest clean.  Extra water in jugs under rear seat.  Some DVD's ready to watch.  Laptop computer all updated and charged.  CELLPHONE!!!..it's ready too, especially with the Kampnik app installed, that is great.  All necessary charging cables for all of these.

I always travel with a paper map.  Road Atlas or something; AAA fold up maps are awesome.  When out in the boonies, they are worth their weight in gold.

In drawers, I've got a couple little baggies of powdered detergent and a bagful of quarters...to do laundry on the road.  And some extra money, about $40 in $1 bills.  Makes it easy at some of those campgrounds.  And....a hidden extra credit card...just in case.

Next level up....exterior.  2nd and 3rd coats of Carnuba Wax, especially on front end where bugs hit.  All instrumentation working good.  Cruise Control (Audiovox CCS-100) works like a champ.  Clean windows.  Whisk broom and shakeout on carpeting.

Food?  I kinda get that on the road.  Whatever I'm in the mood for, as it happens.  Between Garmin Nuvi GPS and Smartphone, it works out pretty easily to find resources.  Wow, such luxury compared to when I did this stuff in the 70's!  My A/C works too...but probably won't need it for this trip.

That's all I can think of for now.  No....I tried AAA a few years ago...I decided better spend the money on preventative maintenance instead.

Rich San Diego