Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Oct 2019 17:40:49 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Torque for lug nuts on GoWesty Alloy wheels

I just called GoWesty.  "Chris" said the recommended torque for lug nuts on their alloy wheels is 95 Ft lbs. Rich San Diego

On Thursday, October 3, 2019, 9:32:41 AM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote: Ed,

I looked at my records from Discount Tire; I'm due (7500 miles) for a rotation and spin balance.  I have an appointment for tomorrow.  On the previous invoice, it listed torque spec at 120 ft lbs.  I tried to confirm the GoWesty alloy spec at 80 ft lbs (I have those same 16" alloy wheels as you) but I couldn't find anything on the website; did you contact them directly to get that info?

That's a good tip, too, about the Harbor Freight torque wrench....I might pick one of those up....peace of mind.

Richard

    On Thursday, October 3, 2019, 8:49:44 AM PDT, Ed McLean <email99@NC.RR.COM> wrote:  This has been a pet peeve of mine for 50 years.

If any shop removes my wheels I tell them to only use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs to the proper specification and under no circumstances use an air powered impact wrench to tighten the wheel lugs.  I think VW Vanagon specs are 133 ft lb and Go Westy alloy specs are 80 ft lb. I use 80 ft lb because those are the wheels I have.

You have to be careful because sometimes a shop will use an impact wrench to tighten the lugs and then us a torque wrench to be sure they are tight enough.  This is not satisfactory since the lugs are most likely already over tightened.  Tell them never tighten with an impact wrench.

Many times the shop will protest and say they use "Torque Sticks" which are colored extensions that are supposed to limit the torque of a properly adjusted air impact wrench.  I tell them "Absolutely not!  Use a hand torque wrench.  If you don't have one you can use mine."  I watched a Volvo dealer shop use torque sticks after this request.  When the shop manager pegged a Snap-On dial indicator torque wrench at well over 150 ft lb removing 5 of the just tightened lugs while trying to prove they were tightened to 62 ft lb his face got very red with embarrassment.

I carry an inexpensive click type 150 ft lb torque wrench and a 6-point impact socket in the bus all the time to use when I tighten lugs.  A cheap 1/2" drive torque wrench that is good enough for lugs can be found at Harbor Freight for 20% less than $20.  I wouldn't use this for cylinder head bolts but it's good enough for wheel lugs.

Discount Tire has been very willing to follow this request and they have noted it in their records so I don't have to mention it each time.  They actually tell me that they are going to only hand tighten the lugs with their torque wrench.  They get all my tire business.

This is what works for me.

Ed