Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2019, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Oct 2019 07:58:45 +0000
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Strange electrical question.
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

"...But am typing this from a campground in Northern California..." Hey, that's not fair! Stephen On Friday, October 11, 2019, 08:31:19 PM EDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote: A well aimed shot of spray electrical contact cleaner into Hazard Switch, followed up by the recommended few dozen cycles of rapid exercise to clean and brighten the contacts, would be an additional suggestion.  This has solved mysterious stuff for me.  Maybe first try just exercising switch; if no luck, then go for the spray contact cleaner.  Also, brightening the contacts of the switch where they mate with the connector.  Personally, I add a swipe of Vaseline to those external switch tabs....seems to help dissolve corrosion and prevent future; a few cycles of plug and unplug wouldn't hurt either.  But, it's probably mostly inside the switch with ancient contact surfaces where your problem might be.

Do this with switch removed, please.  I kinda temporarily messed up the finish of some of the plastic in the surrounding area due to some of the solvent properties of that spray stuff.  I fixed it all back again with some Aerospace 303 Spray on plastic housing and lens.  (I think that's it, the expensive stuff, available through GoWesty and West Marine and others.  It's magic!  Not the "greasy kid stuff" like ArmorAll.  But am typing this from a campground in Northern California...so I can't go out to the garage to check.) Rich San Diego

    On Friday, October 11, 2019, 2:55:00 PM PDT, David Beierl <dbeierl@GMAIL.COM> wrote:  The signal indicator gets 12V from the panel at key-on, and grounds through the signal lamps; so it will light whenever the lights on one or both sides are connected but not powered (power for them comes from the flasher relay).  This is why the indicator flashes out of phase with the signals. Note that this means the light will glow even if the turn signal fuse is blown.

As Dennis said -- everything goes through the hazard switch.  It has to supply power to the flasher relay from unswitched power for four-ways, or from switched power for the turn signals.  It also has to connect both sets of lights to the flasher for four-ways, or let the turn signal connect them for turn signals.  It's the prime suspect any time anything goes wrong.  A few dozen cycles of rapid exercise will often help it.

Yrs, d