Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2019, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Nov 2019 20:08:47 -0500
From:         "John H. Lauterbach" <john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The joy of driving is back!  1991 Vanagon GL with 1995 Subie
              2.2L              engine
Comments: To: "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>

Thank you very much. It is not ready for the the 350-mile road trip (each way) I do a couple of times a month. My car still makes that trip. John On Tue, 2019-11-19 at 22:40 +0000, ddbjorkman@verizon.net wrote: > Glad your on the road, at last. I know the feeling.Dave B. > -----Original Message-----From: John H. Lauterbach <john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM>To > : vanagon <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>Sent: Tue, Nov 19, 2019 3:08 pmSubject: > The joy of driving is back! 1991 Vanagon GL with 1995 Subie 2.2L engine > Last Spring, based on pictures and conversations with the seller, I purchased > a1991 Vanagon GL with 1995 Subie 2.2L engine and Kennedy Engineering > conversionkit. A major factor in purchasing this van was that it had the 4- > speed manualtransmission and not an automatic. When I got the van, I found > that the brakeswere weak, and one of the right rear brake cylinder sprung a > leak. The only shopin town that would take the van was European Auto Clinic. > Josef and his team hadthe van for most of the summer replacing every part of > the braking systemincluding the master cylinder. Once I had the van back, the > power steering racksprung a major leak. So back to Josef for a new power > steering rack. > Then, with the help of my Son (works in the parts department of the local > BMWdealer), we got enough of the electrical bugs worked out to get all the > lightsworking except for the license plate light. I also had to replace the > hosebetween the expansion tank and the overflow tank. Since then, I have been > usingthe van for around-town driving, including trips 20-mile trips on I-75 > and otherhighways. One advantage of the Subie engine is that the van can move > out of itsown way without two-feet on the accelerator pedal. Much work still > needs to bedone before I turn it over to a body shop for complete exterior > restoration. > John in Macon, GA