Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2019, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Dec 2019 20:47:59 +0000
From:         David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Resurrecting a sleeping Vanagon plus cooling system hoses

I took my 1987 Vanagon into a repair shop that seems pretty knowledgeable about them.The shop owner has a Vanagon himself.My van has sat for 6 years due to failing the emissions test here in Arizona.The repair shop is going to go through the entire van and tell me everything it needs.So far we have a new fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump and all the belts.He also said a few brake lines will be needed and maybe a water pump.Here is the kicker though. He recommended EVERY coolant hose be replaced.He said that would be approximately $400 for parts and $600 labor. That's $1000 just for this job.Is this reasonable and is there any way to do this less expensively?I'm sure I'm going to need many other things done like the shocks, front-end bushings and entire exhaust system.Some other issues are neither electric window works, the a/c ducting has fallen off the roof and I have a power-steering leak.I'll probably need some new tires pretty soon too. I still dont know the state of the engine or transmission, although they were fine before.I'd like to keep the cost down to under $3000 total if possible. -David (1987 Wolfsbug Vanaon)