Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2020, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jan 2020 14:28:01 -0600
From:         Ben Eisenbraun <bene@KLATSCH.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Missing Posts
Comments: To: Ryan Cresawn <jrcresawn@GMAIL.COM>

The MX record is not a requirement for mail delivery. RFC compliant mailers will fallback to the A record. Since the non-delivery issues seem to be intermittent for most people, I don’t think the missing MX record is really the root problem.

The DNS configuration for gerry.vanagon.com is definitely not up to modern standards (no SPF/DKIM as you note), but the server is also running Listserv 1.8d, which came out in 1999, so it’s just one of many things that are not up to modern standards.

In any case, the only person who can really diagnose this problem is the admin for the gerry.vanagon.com server. The mail server and mailing list software should both be generating log files with success/failures for all messages sent to the list, and you really need access to those logs to figure out what’s going on. I think troubleshooting this from only the client side is going to be almost impossible.

-ben