Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2020, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jan 2020 09:31:03 -0500
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cutting board spring spacers
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi Steven and others,

Steven, I didn’t get your original message despite my efforts to keep all posts coming. Luckily Dennis included it in his reply.

I was about to add a spacer there some time ago but instead chose to add air bags to the rear.

I had seen Frank Condelli at West River Westies with a motor cycle on the back of his van. He used air bags to keep the van elevated in the rear this kept weight on the front and he drove like that all over.

I thought that I could use the air bags for a little less drastic application. I installed them and then played with he pressure. I was able to raise the driver’s side to make the van more Evan. I could also, if desired add pressure if I put a lot of weight in the back.

Later Dennis leveled my van with the scales and did use a shim I believe on the driver’s rear.

Dennis left in my air bags on a minimum pressure so I can use them if desired. They certainly don’t harm handling and may have improved things a little.

One down side. I’ve noticed lately a squeaking in suspension. I traced it to the air bags. So something is rubbing just a bit to make a noise.

I will try to address that but I don’t want to mess up the nice balance Dennis created.

Point. Air bags may be another way to address the sag issue and give some adjustment. In my case, I have both, new spacers slightly adjusted thickness and air bags.

They fit in nicely and almost look like they belong there. I used a existing hole located just above the rear spring to mount the valve and everything just fits and looks nice.

Also, Dennis mentioned to me and I had noticed that the original spring supports and such back there If not recently checked, are likely to need replacement as they don’t last the life of the van. This can also help.

Best,

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto