Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2020, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Feb 2020 07:47:48 -0800
From:         Alex MeVay <alex@MEVAY.ORG>
Subject:      Vanagon Syndrome/AFM Mounting Orientation?

Hi All,

I had "Vanagon Syndrome" (bucking and uneven power delivery due to mixture problems from a failing air flow meter (AFM)). In 8/2018, I replaced the AFM with an offering from one of our favorite vendors, which was a rebuild by Fuel Injection Corporation of Tracy, CA, and had the magic capacitor added internally. Syndrome cured, for a time, but here I am just ~12k miles and 16 months later with the same symptoms returning.

One thing different about my installation (I-4 swap) is that the AFM is mounted upside down (plastic cap down) relative to what I believe to be the normal orientation. Does anybody know if this could be the culprit? The original AFM had, I believe, lasted the PO a long time, but failed maybe 1-2 years after I changed the orientation. I also do a lot of off-road driving, so vibration could also be an issue.

Any other ideas? If I have to re-do my intake to change the orientation of the AFM, I think I'd like to consider other options. Has anyone had luck running MAF conversions (e.g., the offering by Split Second) with Digifant II?

Alex

P.S. Still looking for leads on that 548mm axle:

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 9:39 PM <alex@mevay.org> wrote: > > Hi Team, > > Do any of you have any leads on quality replacement 548mm/21.56" CV > shafts or axles, as used in early (1980-82 2wd) Vanagons with 4sp > manual transmissions? > > I'm ideally looking for a shaft with the end flange style for the > conical spring washer, and in the 548mm, not 541mm length. Here was > my old one, which seemed ideal: > > https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1973829.jpg > > Full story below if you want it. > > Thanks as always, > > Alex