Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2020, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Feb 2020 09:40:33 -0800
From:         Alex MeVay <alex@MEVAY.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Syndrome/AFM Mounting Orientation?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Thanks Dennis and Neil.

I pulled out the AFM and bench-tested it both upside down and right-side-up with a power supply and oscilloscope and could not get it to misbehave. Nice smooth waveforms as I moved the vane by hand. I could also see the action of the capacitor when I went faster. Hmmmm.....

Regarding O2 sensor issues, I'm pretty sure I'm OK there. I have a dash air-fuel gauge (basically a voltmeter) hooked up to the O2 sensor so I can see what's going on. The hesitation happens also when the engine is cold and the ECU is still ignoring the O2 sensor and using only the AFM. At that time, during hesitation, the mixture always goes lean. It's unclear to me whether the hesitation is caused by the lean mixture, or whether the mixture reads lean because there's air (and fuel) in the exhaust from a misfire.

When the ECU is closed loop and hesitation occurs, the mixture temporarily slams rich and/or lean. This looks different than the normal closed-loop back-and-forth sweep. I assume the rich is the ECU trying to compensate for the lean condition.

I spoke to the AFM vendor yesterday and he suggested I check for vacuum leaks. I had hoped to be in the desert now, but it looks like I have to get back to basics (unmetered air leaks, ignition, etc...). Here is my plan for Saturday, in rough order...suggestions/additions welcome.

Check/inspect intake piping and vacuum lines Check/retorque intake manifold to head (this is an I-4), throttle-body, etc. Vacuum test brake booster system from manifold connection Vacuum test fuel pressure regulator from manifold connection Possibly try running with vacuum lines/PCV plugged Inspect distributor/ignition wires Inspect plugs check compression Tune-up (timing, idle speed, Idle CO)

Two bonus questions for any Digifant II pros:

1. For idle CO, I was not able to find any reasonable home-mechanic options for an exhaust gas analyzer (suggestions?). From what I gather, the CO mixture spec corresponds to just rich of stoichiometric, so I plan to use the O2 sensor output to set this (i.e., start lean, make mixture richer just until the sensor output flips rich). Does this seem reasonable?

2. Does Digifant II have any long-term learning/adaptation to the fuel map? When I replaced the AFM in 2018 and did the idle CO as above, the engine first ran a little rough (i.e, blip the throttle for a shift and get a misfire), but then got smooth over the next few days or so.

Thanks as always,

Alex