Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2020, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Feb 2020 04:37:44 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: PSI and Bars, for tire pressure

I think that is why it is always described on the recommended tire pressure in every manual and booklet as "Cold" tire inflation pressure.  Friction and rubber moving around creates heat, and resultant increase in tire pressure.   When you mentioned a 6-7 psi change on your 15 mile drive, I am assuming that is an increase in tire pressure.

Right....temperature INSIDE the tire due to a combination of Ambient Temperature and frictional forces are what matters, and raises tire pressure.  Since it is all so confusing, that is why they recommend checking tire pressures with vehicle just sitting there, tires cold, ideally.  I go regularly to my Discount Tire Center for a Free air check; I usually walk over to a nearby store or something to let things cool off a little before the tire pressure check.  And...the reason for the "free" air check?  So they can stick their probe into the tread to measure thickness, and also inspect tire build date, in hopes of selling you a new set of tires.  Good for them!!  Still....they have these cool computer controlled inflation gizmos....I tell them "44 PSI, all around, including my spare" (valve stem sticks out through one of the holes on the underside clamshell holder)....and that is exactly what happens. Works good for me.  And yes....I will buy my next set of tires from Discount Tires.  On both cars.  Free lifetime spin balance too.  I gave up on Costco a long time ago. (For long time Listers...Just when you always thought there could never be another tire thread....ha-ha!)

On Monday, February 10, 2020, 7:53:36 PM PST, Jim Arnott <jrasite@eoni.com> wrote: I see about 6-7 psi change on my 15 mile drive to town. Temp doesn’t change much at all. (Alistair’s cheap TPMS.) It fits great on the ledge under the tach. I have to pull it out and throw it on the dash about once a week to charge.

Jim