Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2020, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Feb 2020 17:11:07 -0800
From:         Mark McCulley <markmcculley@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starting problem

Update. I experienced the no start condition today. I did not attempt to give it some gas this time so that I could troubleshoot. It was turning over but not firing on any cylinders. Here's what I did:

- Inspected the distributor cap and rotor, looked fine, no moisture present. - Made sure the spark plug wires were all all seated firmly. - Made sure the wire to the coil was seated firmly. - Disconnected and reconnected the AFM. - Disconnected and reconnected the distributor connector. - Disconnected and reconnected all the wires on the coil. - Disconnected and reconnected the O2 sensor wires. - Disconnected and reconnected the idle stabilizer.

Still, no cylinders firing.

I next disconnected and reconnected the coolant temp sensor located in the thermostat housing. The van then started, although it ran a bit roughly for a bit. Subsequent starts were instantaneous, as they should be.

After noticing that a new connector had been spliced in to the temp sensor wire, I removed the electrical tape covering the spice connections. Near the splices, the insulation was cracked and falling off on all 3 wires. One wire seemed to be down to just a few intact strands. I fixed by cutting out the splices and bad wire section and re-splicing the 3 wires to the connector. The van starts as it should now. Hopefully this fixes the starting problems I've been having.

-Mark