Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2020, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Feb 2020 23:51:18 -0800
From:         Julianna Thoennes <mumbrue@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday subject - are we on the list just old farts?
Comments: To: David McNeely <davmcneely40@gmail.com>

Well, I guess I’m getting there! I’ll be 50 this year, and have owed Vanagon’s since I bought the Rastafalia in 97. I was told about the list three weeks after I bought him when he threw a rod. Thank goodness for the bumper to bumper warrantee I bought! The insurance people were pissed! They went so far as to say they would only pay for the one rod that broke and not the other 3! So I paid for the new ones as it would have been stupid not too. I don’t think I posted for quite some time. Mainly because I focused on a new business I had started, and camping!!! I know once I discovered the usefulness of the list, it was a whole new world! I still remember the first time I was “forced” to work on my van. I knew from all of the descriptions what was probably the problem. Headlight switch or ignition. It was the headlight switch. I was on the road to Florida, and finally found a VW shop with the part in Colorado. They said it was a two week wait before they could put it in. I was like, what!!!! Let me see that thing! I know it was small, but it opened a whole world of confidence! I don’t know if I would have had the courage to try if it hadn’t been for you guys!!! I did feel like I was in a sea of men here, but I am thankful that you guys accepted me and loved on me/encouraged me from afar! I have even have had the great fortune to have meet a few of you on my travels!!!! I do hope to meet more of you if I can! I’m having such difficulty emotionally, as we have lost some of our people. I weep when I think about us about to lose Jim Felder. I’m trying to keep the context of him going on another great adventure, and it’s hard to imagine him not being here with us. John Rodgers and I drove up to see him a few years ago, and I felt like I was meeting movie star!!! I have such fond memories of him and Alistair going back and forth on cool van projects! I know no one really knows when our time is up. I guess in a way it’s a gift to be able to get things in order and speak whatever you need to say out into the world. I have such love for you Jim, and for all of you! Its been such an honor to be a part of this group. I admit I haven’t paid much attention for the last few years. Kids and life. I am still out here driving Vanagon’s as daily drivers. My dear husband Colin bought a sweet 84 two tone tintop for himself a few months ago! I get to drive her occasionally, and she is just so fun to drive!!! My husband is just starting his journey of learning how to care for his Van. It’s been super fun to watch his love for them grow. I found a keeper! ♥️🥰♥️ We do plan on traveling much more once the kids are out of high school. I have so loved this thread! Thank you all for being here long after the things changed. It’s changing again. Even Facebook is considered old these days. Social media is fun for the pictures, but this list has been invaluable for the information within its conversations! Precious! See you out in the world! I hope to travel a bit this summer! I’ll let you know my route! Maybe I can visit with some of you all! Love to you!!!

Julianna Elligsen

1991 VW Vanagon Westfalia (Ophelia)

1984 VW Tintop (Stella Blue)