Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2020, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Feb 2020 00:48:44 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Big empty space just forward of Passenger Side brake light

Cool....so far no one has said this is a bad idea.  And per some posts, even VW used it for a heavy battery on some diesel motors and Dokas.  So I think I'm good to go ahead with refining my idea of storage of emergency use stuff.  I forgot to mention, my 85 is a Tintop with homemade camping interior, so I don't have all those cabinets and cubbies like the Westy crowd has.  So I will still do some brainstorming and looking around and thinking, maybe build some cardboard/hotmelt glue prototypes, but that location definitely has merit for something useful.  Also, it's encouraging from Eric Caron to note that the Passenger Side of the van would be more than willing to accept a little additional weight....most of the heavy stuff seems to be on Driver Side.

Rich San Diego

On Friday, February 21, 2020, 4:28:36 PM PST, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: With Subie 2.2 conversion on my 85 Vanagon, the air intake to motor no longer protrudes through that black fiber panel on Passenger Side.  I removed the little clips securing the black panel....and peered inside.  What's inside?  Nothing!  What?  Wasted space, a lot of it!  I immediately had visions of fabricating a little plywood shelf, mounted into sheet metal beneath and supported by rubber feet (purpose is so that air can get underneath to prevent rust, and also to give me something to attach some rubber bungees).  The idea would be to store in that unused space stuff that could be very useful on long roadtrips like I do, mostly for emergency situations.  Perhaps...a quart of oil, a quart of 50/50 coolant, an oil filter w/ crush washer for drain plug for when I finally get to a place to change oil, funnel, oil filter wrench.....who knows what else.  All of these would be protected in gallon plastic zip-bags, and then maybe go into some plywood box with appropriate drain holes.

Just an idea at this point....but hoping others would point out the errors in my thought process.  Obviously, this is not a good space for regularly used items, too hard to get to.  But just fine when far from home in an emergency situation.  Spare parts could go in there too (ignition switch, spare fuel pump and filter, some wire.....).  It's a big volume of unused space.

Rich San Diego