Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2020, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Mar 2020 15:06:46 -0700
From:         Alex MeVay <alex@MEVAY.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Syndrome/AFM Mounting Orientation?

Been super-backlogged on email, but just wanted to follow up on this, since I know I enjoy hearing the resolution to problems posted here.

As a recap, I had been experiencing poor performance (rough running) coming off idle, and the van had been cutting out sometimes (bucking and jolting) while cruising down the road.

I went through all the basic checks, and turned up two irregularities, which I believe explain the two issues.

1. Although they looked OK visually, my spark plug wires measured out of spec (too high) on resistance. One of them was actually open (whoops). I recrimped that one, and swapped one other for a spare (that still measured out of spec, but not by as much). No more engine cutouts. Will be putting a new set on order shortly.

2. When I tried to adjust the idle mixture (aiming for just rich of stoich using the O2 sensor), I found I couldn't get the mixture to go lean, even with the AFM adjustment screw totally removed. This would seem to explain the poor performance coming off idle. I could get the mixture lean only by adding a big air leak after the AFM. I also was able to get the mixture lean by fudging the signal from the AFM to ECU. I suspected maybe an excess fuel pressure issue, but the pressure and regulator operation with manifold vacuum were spot on, which leads me back to the AFM. Not Vanagon syndrome, but out of calibration. AFM out of warranty, vendor said I could send it back to the refurb guys for calibration. Rather than be without my daily driver, and also based on positive list comments about new Chinese parts vs. re-re-rebuilt originals, I put one of these on order:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32972721257.html

I'll let you know how it works out.

For now, I have the AFM mixture adjustment screw all the way backed out (had been at the "stock" position as supplied, 4.5 turns out IIRC), and this helped substantially with driveability off idle, though there is still a little bit of roughness/hesitation.

Happy motoring,

Alex