Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2020, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 2020 00:26:56 -0500
From:         KI4TLF <ki4tlf@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Chinese Diesel Heater for Vanagons
Comments: To: Richard Smith <smirby@GMAIL.COM>

Talking about sealing the plates off. Are the screws long enough you can take a square of bicycle inner tube and put it under the plates?

GregM

Alistair mentioned the diesel heater as part of a project to get rid of the propane tank. I have the same ambition.

A few years ago I removed the tank and spent untold hours sanding, priming, and painting it but it was to no avail - it is rusty again.

This time I vowed to remove it - and all the internal pipes - and switch to small bottles for the range, and remove the fridge altogher. Tonight - pandemic isolation twitchiness, I guess - I went out the garage and did it.

I had read others' instructions on how to do this (as I will be removing the fridge and going electric, I watched those "fridge be gone" videos), so had some idea what to do.

It all went pretty smoothly.

Things I did a bit differently than in the video:

1. Used a garage jack (with a hockey puck spacer/cushion) to snug the tank up to the van while I removed the nuts. This saves you from having to balance it on your chest or have it droop while you're trying to loosen a nut.

2. Used a 15mm deep socket on a short wobble extension and an impact driver (cheapo, Chinese clone of Makita) to buzz the nuts off. Would have been easier if I had taken the time to clean and lube the threads on those bolts, which hang down into the road dust their whole lives.

3. One of the washers jammed up between the bolt and the frame rail. It is a big, thick washer (presumably from the factory) and it would NOT come off, even with the weight of the propane tank on it. I finally jacked the tank back up (glad I had that jack handy) and sprayed lube and got a 'cats paw' on it. Down it came.

4. Under the van, the nuts on the flared copper propane lines are 19mm. My wrench "set" (completely random collection) only goes to 18, so I used a crescent wrench and my fingers once they were loose.

5. Inside the van I removed all the kitchen stuff from under the sink and the two shelves. Found myself removing one of the brown nubs to get the top shelf out; don't know if it can be done without doing that. I was surprised how easy it is to see and undo the top nuts from the copper pipes. The nuts on those pipes are 19mm as well, with a 17mm opposite side for the pipe going to the burners. I held that with the 17 and pulled with the crescent wrench - yikes that thing was on there! The fridge line is easier, no second wrench required and not nearly so tight. Perhaps the fridge had been out for service sometime in its lifetime? Not by me...

6. I had read that you can just snip off those copper lines, but I have a fear of doing damage that isn't recoverable, so I took the time to undo the little plate and grommets that they pass through on the floor. Other instructions allude to this ("there is a way to remove the pipes without cutting them...") but don't describe it at all. The pipes came out with hardly any bending. If I really wanted to be perfect, I might have jacked the van up to give myself a bit more room.

7. The way the pipes exit the van, in my opinion, is ingenious. There are two "w" shaped plates that fit together, leaving two round holes just big enough for the pipe when they are fully interlocked. Six small screws hold them, and a foam seal" up snug against the floor of the van. Credit to whoever designed/installed this: after 33 years the foam was still pliable, and the grommets were mostly still there. No dirt/dust had invaded the cupboard.

Two plates:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz12pph1pwn933w/img_3274.jpg?dl=0

Plates together:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bblt3qydehbrc16/img_3273.jpg?dl=0

8. I am going to keep those two plates and screw them back in with some new foam, using the six screws. I will replace the grommets with plugs for now. Someday I might use those holes for access for solar panel wiring or something.

9. I am keeping the two copper pipes, the tank, and the fridge. Everything works and if someone buys the van from me and wants to restore it to factory (this van is crazy intact, previous owner was a meticulous former air force pilot), they can.

Pipes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ootpb8o2qxkz4v4/img_3275.jpg?dl=0

10. The whole job - including having to lift the tank back up and pry the washer off - took about an hour and half.

Tomorrow I tackle the fridge removal. Hope this helps someone. Let me know if you have any questions.

...r