Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2020, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 2020 14:41:46 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: found some freon 12 should I recharge old AC
Comments: To: David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>

I understand. All of the Freon oil is pumped passed the O-rings just as it's pumped through the hoses. But the front seal of a lot of compressors are fed with a small oil bleed, enough to maintain an oil film between the shaft and bushing.

Depending on the size of your leak you may or may not see any oil dripping from behind your clutch pulley. From experience, the very small leaks won't or at least won't leak enough oil to notice.

To find small leaks you need an oil charge with UV dye and a UV light. If I'm right you'll see the UV dye on the inside / back of your AC pulley and if I'm not the UV dye will lead you to your problem.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com – Electric Brewery Info www.towercooler.com – Beer Tower Cooler http://goo.gl/niRzVw - My Amazon Store www.brew-control.com – Electric Brewery Marketing and Direct Sales http://www.hackpilot.com/roadkill/ - A little twisted humor

Tom, as I stated in the first post I made, the techs who have worked on my AC put dye in the refrigerant. I saw the stains where an o-ring leaked. mcneely