Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2020, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Apr 2020 15:04:02 +0000
From:         "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Alternators
Comments: To: "d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM" <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Thanks guys.  Something I forgot to add, and you have touched on is HP consumed by the alternator.I was just curious. Interesting point on the ability of the belt to turn the alternator.   As far as I can tell, the 90 amp one in the bus is doing fine.  I'll just have to leave the big crockpot at home :-). Dave B.

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wed, Apr 8, 2020 7:14 pm Subject: Re: Alternators

Your points are accurate. David has an inline upgrade so there are other alternator options out there.

For the Vanagon though the major limitation to how much "power" you can have available is the wiring. Power hungry circuits need to have the working path upgraded all the way back to the alternator. Of the add ons I see that can cause the most grief include high wattage headlamps and other auxiliary lighting. The factory AC with that large radiator fan is also a large consumer and though needs to be given for add on oil coolers that also need fans. All these loads add up.

For auxiliary batteries thought needs to be given for that load, especially for larger sizes. For uncontrolled charging (relay to alternator) figure 30 to 50% of the A/H capacity of the battery. For larger batteries DC to DC charge controllers should be considered. One problem with uncontrolled charging is that you can charge the house battery too fast damaging it over time.

Regarding the set voltage of the regulator is not mistake or weakness the 13.8 volts is the choice of the OEM. The ideal voltage for a battery is like dancing on a pin head. 2.3v/cell is just about the gassing voltage. With some drop and the voltage dropping a bit more as the alternator and wiring heat up this becomes an ideal compromise for straight voltage charging of low or no maintenance batteries. This allows for bulk charging without off gassing. High voltages especially over long drive times will tend to oxidize the plates and overtime will drive the tin out of grids and into the electrolyte. This causes the charging voltage to drop increasing current. These are the batteries that when placed on a real charger never make voltage and eventually overheat as the chargers never shut off. Most heavy duty vehicles and industrial equipment operate at this lower voltage as the tend to run for extended periods. Cars often go to 14.2 as they are typically used for commuting and shopping trips. Long drives are the exception.

As for driving the alternator, the current produced is limited by the windings resistance. As such at full load if you consider resistance matching for power delivery much of the power being used to drive the alternator is given up as heat. Efficiency is probably  less than 70% at 740 watts/HP, you probably need 2HP to drive the stock alternator. Tough ask for that belt set up. I have fitted high output alternators. Most of those actually produce less current at low rpms.

Dennis