Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2020, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 May 2020 22:19:43 -0600
From:         VW Vanagon <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heads-Up - Potential Odometer Fraud
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net>

I would agree, to an extent. I would argue however, that previous maintenance and handling is the best indicators of current condition.

An old, inoperable odo that petered-out on its own is one thing, but if it's clear that the P.O. has repeatedly manipulated the odometer and rolled it back, I take that as an indicator that they didn't handle the vehicle properly. And if they very clearly lie about it and deflect when asked, that brings everything else they've said about it into question.

This is especially true when they can't speak to *any* engine maintenance and repeatedly give different figures in the same conversation. And there's potentially a 6-figure mileage discrepancy. On a rental van. And based on what I can tell, it's been driven the sum total of one mile in over a year. . .

Like I said, that wasn't the ONLY issue. There were red flags all over the place....

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 8:39 PM Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net> wrote:

> These vans are so old that the odometer no longer matters. > > All that matters is condition. > > Thanks, Tom Hargrave > www.kegkits.com – Electric Brewery Info > www.towercooler.com – Beer Tower Cooler > http://goo.gl/niRzVw - My Amazon Store > www.brew-control.com – Electric Brewery Marketing and Direct Sales > http://www.hackpilot.com/roadkill/ - A little twisted humor > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf > Of VW Vanagon > Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:13 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Heads-Up - Potential Odometer Fraud > > Howdy all- > I'm in the process of finding an 86+ Westy to start taking my family on > some Montana adventures. > (side note: if you have a lead on a solid one, hit me up). > > In the process of the search, I came across a listing for an '89 in Maui > (turned out to be a damaged, spray painted and rust-eaten can on wheels) > and that, in turn, turned me on to some folks down in CA who are selling > the last few of their rental fleet. > > I texted back and forth with the seller last night and arranged for a > video call today to check things out. > > Throughout the very short call, there were red flags *ALL OVER THE PLACE*! > > I won't go into the gory details, but I ran the CarFax report and > immediately saw that the odometer has clearly been rolled back multiple > times over the course of the past 10-14 years. > I asked her about it, and got all kinds of excuses and reasons why it > wasn't important. > > This will be my 3rd Vanagon, and with the previous two I learned to follow > my gut and *always* to run a CarFax report! > > Moral of the story: > THAT REPORT IS GOLD! > GET IT EVERY TIME! :) > > The search goes on! > > -Drew > Missoula, MT > ----- > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 2016.0.7924 / Virus Database: 4793/15886 - Release Date: 08/14/18 > Internal Virus Database is out of date. > >

-- *Drew* Missoula, MT

Searching for our next Westy!