Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2020, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 May 2020 22:15:10 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Leaky rear heater
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <w.jeff.palmer@ICLOUD.COM>

Hey Jeff,

It is a pretty easy fix. I did the valve with the help of this list. And the GW or Van cafe one I got was a very nice improvement.

Eric Eric Caron > On May 15, 2020, at 4:25 PM, Jeff Palmer <w.jeff.palmer@ICLOUD.COM> wrote: > > It’s gotta be the valve. Argh! > >> On May 15, 2020, at 3:18 PM, Jack R <jack007@comcast.net> wrote: >> >> I went with the GW valve, and new core last year when I did my 84 Westy. >> https://www.gowesty.com/product/cooling-system-/24275/gowesty-rear-heater-core-valve >> >> No leaks, no smell, plenty of heat! >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Eric Caron >> Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 2:58 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Leaky rear heater >> >> Yes, it was not fun to clean up. But the valve isn’t usually replaced along with the core. The core does not come with a new valve in may experience. >> >> There are some plastic tabs in the floor. They can be removed to help with drainage and cleaning. I removed mine on list recommendation to prevent future coolant mess. I should check them but at the time I duct taped them and put water drainage holes too small for mice. >> >> Eric >> >> >>> On May 15, 2020, at 2:43 PM, Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >>> >>> Could it be the mechanic didn't mop up all the old coolant seeping around >>> under the back bench - seems to me the floor of the box around the rear >>> heater is concealed by thin particle board and hard to clean underneath it >>> - perhaps coolant could have been hiding under the heater or particle board >>> and then shifted / flowed to a visible area? >>> >>> Bruce >>> >>>> On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 7:35 AM Jeff Palmer <w.jeff.palmer@icloud.com> >>>> wrote: >>>> >>>> Hi everyone. I had my rear heater replace a few weeks ago after noticing >>>> the smell of coolant. Didn't notice any leaks, until my mechanic told me >>>> he saw coolant dripping from the body. It must have been a pretty small >>>> leak. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> It's been running fine with no smell since replacement but the other day i >>>> found a puddle on the ground underneath the rear bench area. I took the >>>> cover off and keep expecting to see it sitting there in a puddle of coolant >>>> but nothing. Is there anywhere else it might be leaking if it's not the >>>> heater itself? >>>> >>>> >>>> Thanks >>>> >>>> Jeff >>>> >>>> 85 Westfalia >>>> >>>>