Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2020, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 May 2020 20:35:02 +0000
From:         "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: oil pressure gauge and temp gauge
Comments: To: "kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

Thanks to both you gents for your viewpoints.  Both have their merits and an owner can now make a more informed decision on which way to go and how far their skills will take them.  It's great to have so many folks with so much information that they want to share with all of us. Thanks to all;Dave B.

-----Original Message----- From: kenneth wilford (Van-Again) <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tue, May 19, 2020 8:30 am Subject: Re: oil pressure gauge and temp gauge

Here is my take on the oil pressure gauge situation.  You are driving down the road.  You have an oil pressure gauge installed.  Every so often you take a look at your gauge to see what your oil pressure is doing.  It has a "normal" range when at cold idle, hot idle, 65 mph down the interstate. You figure out what this "normal" range is, and then file that away in your brain.  One day you look down and something is not right.  Oil pressure is much lower than it normally is and you react by pulling over and checking things out.  Or over time you start seeing a trend where the oil pressure isn't the same at start up, or takes longer to register at start up, etc.  In effect you establish a "normal" and then when things are no longer the way they should be, you can intervene in some way (pull over, add oil, replace oil, replace filter, etc). Accuracy, really has very little to do with it if we are being honest. That is why in Ford pickup trucks and Jeeps, they have an oil pressure gauge that is essentially a dummy light.  If your oil pressure is above a certain value, the oil pressure "gauge" goes to the middle and everything looks fine.  When oil pressure goes below a certain range, the oil pressure gauge goes to zero to scare you so you will pull over and investigate.  99% of the people out there this is what they are actually looking for even if they don't realize it.  The folks that call me wanting to buy our oil pressure gauge kit, want to be able to disable that pesky oil buzzer system in the cluster.  Or if they don't, that when that buzzer is going off, they can look at the gauge to see if it is a false alarm or not instead of having to pull over and unload everything over the engine while on a trip. They aren't really looking for accuracy.  They aren't engine builders, or engine testers, they are drivers and sometimes simple is better.

Our kit is simple.  You remove your oil filter, you install the adapter, reinstall the oil filter,  you run a premade length of wire to the front and plug it into the gauge that you mount on the dash.  You still have to wire the lighting and the power and ground but that is it.  Very simple and easy.  Is there a "better" place in the system to look for oil pressure for accuracy?  Possibly.  But is that what you really need?  Most likely not. You just want to be able to drive, enjoy your van, and not panic if the oil light starts to flicker for no reason or the buzzer starts to go off due to a flaky dash cluster, or bad wire.  Or you want to see trends over time. Either way you can do that just as well with my kit.

The kit is reasonably priced for what it is, and how it takes most of the work and complexity out of doing this, so more people can do it and feel confident in getting it done.  You don't have to be an amazing mechanic to install this, just competent.

So if you need accuracy for the sake of accuracy then you might, maybe get more accuracy out of a VDO sensor and gauge but you are going to pay a lot more for it.  And then you are still going to have to rig up an oil line, and stuff and things that will look like a rig up at the end of the day not matter how good of a job you do.

Just my two cents.

Ken

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com