Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2020, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jun 2020 10:30:25 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: leaky windshield
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com>

Dan,

I usually find a good glass mechanic, versus a glass installer like those Safelite guys, to install my windshields. They run a special kind of caulk under the rubber, glass side and metal side, outside only, after the glass is installed. I think it's just black weatherstripping sealant. Icky stuff that requires something like naphtha to clean up. They test for leakage by giving the windshield a good soaking then using air pressure to see if the water can be forced through the seal. This is good for testing your current leak to start with too.

And don't discount what Ben T said about the antenna; common source of leaks on the driver's side when there's no rust bubbles under the windshield weatherstripping.

Good luck! Marc