Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2020, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jun 2020 00:33:19 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Friday NVC
Comments: To: David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>

Incredible story Dave....could have gone very bad.  Glad you lived to tell about it.  Yeah...I think all of us have had one or two "dicey" experiences.  Where you just get "that feeling" and get the heck out of there.

On Friday, June 5, 2020, 4:30:23 PM PDT, David McNeely <davmcneely40@gmail.com> wrote: Pretty bad situation.  Right now, everyone is on edge, and many seem to be looking for trouble.

As for logging road camping, I am a big fan of camping in the most isolated spots I can find.  Campgrounds without water and either with vault or pit toilets are ok if I can't find a spot with nothing, but the big campgrounds with all the "good stuff"?  Not for me, because that's where everyone else is.  Only one time have I ever felt a threat when camping.  On the Mountain Fork of the Little River, in the Ouachitata National Forest in  SE Oklahoma, I was setting up in a beautiful meadow far enough from the river to be legal, but close enough to hear its roar as it dropped over magnificent fall, and to secure my water supply.  I was just off a forest service road.

While I was getting my fire going for the evening meal, a 4WD pickup with driver and passenger in the cab, and with two passengers and four dogs in bed.  It stopped just a bit past my camp but out of site, and a few minutes later two guys showed up on foot just outside my camp, and both were armed (it was not hunting season for anything, but there are things that can be hunted legally in Oklahoma year round).  One of them asked me what I was up to, which seemed pretty obvious to me.  I replied in as friendly a tone as I could muster that I was getting ready to eat dinner.  He asked, "What's for dinner," actually sounding like he intended to partake.  I replied, again hoping I sounded friendly, something like, "Oh, steak, potatoes, salad, beer, maybe pie if I can muster the energy to make it."  He turned his head and yelled to someone out of site something like, "You hear that, sounds real good."  Then he said to me, "You make that pie, ya hear."  Then he and his companion left the way they had apparently come.

I threw everything in the van without packing.  Bonnie had been busy inside the whole time, and I started to tell her what had transpired, but she already knew.  We were back on the paved road within 15 minutes, and as we pulled onto it, the same pickup showed up right behind us.  I drove toward town as Bonnie called 911, because the pickup was tailgating at highway speed.  When I noticed the sheriff's office I pulled in there and the pickup kept going.  The deputy I talked to said they'd had a lot of trouble with the same people, who were meth makers and users, and he advised me not to camp outside a campground, and then only if there were other occupants. That was in 2012, early summer.

After that, I followed the deputy's advice when in Little Dixie.

But this situation in Washington was a different scenario.  It sounds like the people who threatened my fellow Spokanites were some of the sorts of people who think THEY are in the right when they abuse others.  My trouble came from ordinary criminal types.

mcneely