Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2020, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jun 2020 02:51:47 +0000
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Amsoil GL-4  75W90
Comments: To: Jack R <jack007@COMCAST.NET>

Gear oil is a topic right behind engine oil. Yes the Amsoil is a wonderful product. So is the Redline. However the myths around needing GL-4 is not quite right especially since modern gear lubes don't have the corrosive characteristics and damaging the brass synchronizers is not a real issue. As for the next concern of the better fluids not having the right friction characteristics for the synchronizers to work properly that is also a bit of a myth and you really can't speed shift or get anywhere fast in a vanagon anyway.

Synchronizers are cheap. The part that needs maximum protection is the ring and pinion set. For that you want the GL-5 or better lubricant. Viscosity is also an issue and like the engine for high speed travel the gear box is also thermally challenged. Amsoil and a few other offer a 75-w110. About 3 years ago I began using 75w-140 and even in winter I find very little difference in cold shifting ability. So that is what I am no recommending. Cooling and viscosity is now recognized enough that Weddle and GTA offer fittings on the transmission so a pump, cooler and filter can be added.

Dennis