Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2020, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jun 2020 23:04:22 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: shout out to the list -- road-side repairs -- vacuum leak,
              duct tape
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>

Agree with Eric.  Vacuum lines are super easy and super important.  And cheap.  Try removing one or two and carefully inspect the ends with magnification.  This might reveal cracks in the ends of the hardened rubber.  That's all it takes to significantly affect your engine performance. Any local autoparts store will have the proper tubing; nice, supple rubber is what you want on those vacuum lines.  Duct tape is only to get you to one of those stores.

Rich San Diego

On Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 3:54:16 PM PDT, Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net> wrote: Hi Gabe,

        I’m the least qualified to answer, but I’m doing it anyway!

No, not normal and not good.

Years ago I had a 74 bus that started stalling at lights and in traffic.  During a trip I took off the hatch and listened while we were in traffic. I heard a sound I didn’t recognize.  I found a hose that was sort of whistling.  I taped it up with what I had, electrical tape.  It worked.  No more stalling for that trip.

I don’t know if I ever properly fixed it.

But, you need some work on your vacuum lines.

Eric